Documents may be added to the main Docs page and each Group page may also have a Documents tab. To edit the list on the Documents page you may need to have the "documents" role for your account. If so, then you will have an "Edit Documents" item in the popup menu in the upper right. Otherwise the usual "add", "edit", and "delete" buttons will be shown in the documents list. On the groups page, members of the group see a pencil icon that allows them to edit the documents for the group.
When adding a new document in either place, you will first be prompted to specify what type of document you are adding:
- a new document (using the online word processor)
- a file that you upload from your computer
- a link (a URL to another website).
After clicking on the type you want, a form will pop up allowing you to add the new document.
- Enter a title for the document
- Select the type of document, such as "policy", "how to", "manual" or whatever you want. Click the pencil to the right of the popup to edit the available types
- depending on the type of document you are adding:
- create a new document - a word processor field with toolbar is used to create a document by typing (or pasting in text)
- upload a document - click the "Choose File" button to select a file on your computer to upload
- add link - enter or paste in the URL for a website in the link field
- if adding a document on the main Docs page, you can optionally assign the new document to a group
- there is a "show on main docs page" checkbox for group documents so you can specify to show the document only on the group's page or also on the main docs page
- there is a "show on news feed" checkbox so you can specify whether or not to show the addition of the new document on the news feed on the Home page
When someone viewing the site clicks on a link for a document, one of two different things can happen:
- if the document was created with the first method or if the document uploaded is a text or HTML document it will be shown to the user in a popup window.
- if the document is some type other than text or HTML it will be downloaded to the user's computer.